For your information, please note the May 1, 2018 transition date for eligible Retirees (retired before February 28, 2018) to move to the CUPE EWBT Retiree Benefits Plan has been postponed as a significant issue has arisen with the implementation of the plan. At this time, we are unable to give a firm date for transition to the new plan. Retirees are advised to contact their Board for continued coverage. Please see the attached Bulletin of April 24, 2018: click here.
Once the issue is resolved and the CUPE EWBT Retiree Benefits Plan is in place, further communications will be issued from the CUPE EWBT.
Thank you for your patience.
CUPE Education Workers’ Benefits Trust
- If you or your member has contacted either OTIP, Great-West Life or the Trust regarding ongoing issues with enrolment, such as data and system errors, errors in reporting of hours or life insurance amounts, or premium calculation concerns among others, the extended deadline of April 6, 2018 will not apply. We also want to assure these members that the member will not be considered a Late Applicant, coverage in the Benefits Plan will be retroactive to March 1, 2018 regardless of actual date of completion of enrolment, and no Late Applicant Evidence of Insurability will be required.
- If a member was hired subsequent to January 1, 2018, but has not received an enrolment email, please advise the member that the updated data provided by the Boards is being verified and processed, and once complete, an enrolment invitation email will be forwarded to the member’s Board email address. NOTE: If the member is a new hire, the extended deadline of April 6, 2018 will not apply. The member will have 31 days from the date of the enrolment invitation email to complete the enrolment process. Again, we also want to assure these members that the member will not be considered a Late Applicant, coverage in the Benefits Plan will be retroactive to March 1, 2018 or the member’s date of hire (whichever is later), and no Late Applicant Evidence of Insurability will be required provided the member enrols within the 31 days
- If a member believes they should be eligible but have not received an enrolment email, please encourage the member to contact OTIP’s Call Centre directly to confirm eligibility and request the email be sent. NOTE: If the member has not received the enrolment email, the extended deadline of April 6, 2018 will not apply. The member will have 31 days from the date of the enrolment invitation email to complete the enrolment process. Claims eligibility will be retroactive to March 1, 2018 and Late Applicant Evidence of Insurability will not be required provided the member enrols within the 31 days.
- Members for whom claims eligibility is determined to be retroactive to March 1, 2018 should be advised that once enrolment is complete, any and all member’s share of the premium costs owed from March 1, 2018 onwards will be payable. Should this cause substantial undue hardship, the member is encouraged to contact OTIP directly to discuss a manageable repayment schedule.
- For members whose enrolment process has not been completed, please remind the member to retain any medical/dental receipts from March 1, 2018 onwards as once the enrolment has been processed, the member will be able to submit those receipts retroactively for reimbursement.
Attention CUPE 1238 members:
You are reminded to check your board email as February approaches. Soon we will have the opportunity to register for the Education Workers’ Benefit Trust.
If you know someone who is off on a leave please make sure to let them know.
CUPE 1238 Members:
We are asking our members, to please reach out and share this information to former members/inactive members about REMEDY to let them know the following:
- Inactive members must verify their bank information and home addresses HAVE NOT changed since they left the Board by February 15, 2018 – these members need to indicate to email@example.com that this is the case as CUPE 1238 needs to provide this list of inactive members to the employer.
- Inactive employees who HAVE changes to bank information OR address changes MUST submit their changes to the attention of the payroll department firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any changes to address and/or bank information must include an original signature from the former employee, void cheque must be submitted.
- Please indicate name and address of executor for deceased employees to ensure the payment is made to the estate.
CUPE 1238 Executive
Please read the following bulletin regarding the Bill 115 Remedy Payment:
Please read this important notice regarding the Bill 115 Remedy:
Please share this information with anyone you know who may have been employed by the Lambton Kent District School Board between September 1, 2012 and August 31, 2014.
The local has received the verification listing the employer provided to CUPE. It has been randomly checked for verification and does seem accurate, however we encourage members (current and past) to visit the web site and confirm you are in fact on the list.
There will be ads placed in newspapers across the province as well to ensure that all employees are aware of the remedy payment and to verify their name is on the list.
All CUPE 1238 members are strongly encouraged to attend the next General Membership Meeting (GMM) on Saturday, December 2nd, 2017 at Lambton Kent Composite School in Dresden, ON at 9:30am for more information on the Bill 115 Remedy.