All members are asked to carefully review the following:
Article L20.01 – 10 days Notice Leaves of Absence
It is paramount that you get your LOA form in at least 10 days ahead of the date of the leave!!
L 20.01 The Manager of Human Resources or designate may grant a Leave of Absence to an employee for personal reasons within this Article provided: (a) Request for leave must be submitted on the standard “Request for Leave” form available in each school office and in the Human Resources Department of the Board Complex; (b) The “Request for Leave” form must be properly completed, signed by the employee, by the Principal/Supervisor and forwarded to the Manager of Human Resources or designate to arrive at least ten (10) days prior to the date of leave; (c) In the event of an emergency, a telephone call to the Principal/Supervisor, followed by a completed application form, will be acceptable; (d) Such absence must not, in the opinion of the Employer, conflict with the efficient operation of the school system, such request will not be unreasonably denied.
DO NOT leave this only up to your Principal, Supervisor or co-worker. Ensure that you follow up and KNOW that the LOA has been faxed. It is our responsibility! Many LOAs have been denied because of the timing. There is no contravention of the CA if denied for this reason.
The local made note of this in the July and September newsletters warning us all that the employer is holding strong to the 10 days. We also sent this notice as a separate email communication on October 16th, 2018.
HR-03 Memo – Discretionary Days & Leaves of Absence
The supporting documentation must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than 5 working days following the date of the appointment. This has caused several discretionary days to be denied. The practice was not followed according to the language in the memo in the beginning… which the local brought up… and is now being followed.
We suggest you do not rely on the board courier mail service to submit your documentation (as it may not reach the HR department within 5 days).
PLEASE review the HR-03 memo that we all received September 2017 so that you are following the memo correctly and won’t face a denial.
HR-03 Memo: Effective immediately, all permanent CUPE employees must submit supporting documentation for a discretionary leave when attending a specialist appointment for themselves or an immediate family member covered under the CUPE 1238 Collective Agreement. This documentation must include name, address, and telephone number of the specialist and the date and time of the appointment. This documentation must be received in the Human Resources Department no later than 5 working days following the date of the appointment.
The next GMM will be Saturday, March 2nd, 2019 at Lambton Kent Composite School in Dresden, ON. The meeting will begin at 9:30a.m. in the cafeteria.
GMMs are for all CUPE 1238 members. Occasional workers are strongly encouraged to attend!
2018-2019 GMM Dates:
Saturday, September 15th, 2018
Saturday, December 1st, 2018
Saturday, March 2nd, 2019
Saturday, June 8th, 2019
OSBCU discussions with the Government agreed that for unsuccessful remedy payments to our members, that we would try to locate individuals who did not receive their payments due to incorrect banking or mailing address information.
If any CUPE 1238 member has contact information or the ability to locate any of these individuals please tell them to email their contact information or you can choose to email the contact information to email@example.com.
DO NOT email the local!!
Use this email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Names were drawn at random at the September 15th, 2018 GMM.
- Libbey Dresser
- Jasmyne Smith
- Aaron Szucs
- Shae Colman
- Cheyenne Jansseune
- Ivy Dresser
- Kerrie Shende
- Brad Moran
- Kaley Veldboom
- Bailey Reinders
A member of executive will be reaching out to the winners to make arrangements.
On June 4th, 2018 the annual LKDSB Employee Retirement and 25 Years of Service Recognition Ceremony took place. CUPE 1238 local sends best wishes to all!
Dale Baker C1, King George VI Chatham
Larry Kinart C1, Lansdowne
Doris LeBlanc EA, AMSS
Ruthann Redmond EA, Wyoming
Karen Swain Secondary Clerk II, CKSS
Rick Benn C3, BDHS
Nicole Cole C2, Lansdowne
Karen Corr Secretary to Elementary Principal, A. A Wright
Sandra Derlis Secondary Clerk IV, Continuing Education
Michael Dodman C1, BDHS
Nathan Dolson Electrician, Maintenance Dept.
Glenda Ebert Speech/Language Pathologist, Special Education
Patricia English EA, Tecumseh
Pam Fell Elementary Clerk, Rosedale
Debbie Hayden C2, Bright’s Grove
Delores Healy C3, LCCVI
Diane Herron EA, Hanna
Shelley Jackson Elem Supervision Support/C2, Lansdowne/Errol Rd
Simone Johnston Secondary Clerk III, CKSS
Brenda Kelly C2, LKCS
Cheryl Littlejohn Secretary to Elementary Principal, Zone Twp.
Ann Lowes EA, Gregory Drive
Helen Maddock Library Supervisor, NLSS
Scott Marshall Plumber, Maintenance Dept.
Donna McAuslan EA, Lambton Centennial
Debora McMurphy EA, WDSS
Deborah McPherson EA, Winston Churchill
Walter Medeiros C1, Wheatley
Neil Noble C1, Hillcrest
Margo Omstead Secretary to Elementary Principal, Wheatley
Wendy Reynolds C2, JMSS
Linda Routley C3, WDSS
Dan Sikora IT Hardware Technician, IT Dept
Debbie Smeltzer CUPE President
Sander Smids IT Hardware Technician, IT Dept
Alcide Teixeira Secondary Clerk III, CKSS
Dawn Thompson C1, Confederation Central
Sandy Webster EA, Indian Creek PS
Suzanne Westley Client Support Technician, IT Dept
Irene Zink C1, King George VI Sarnia
25 Years of Service:
Robert Apothecary C2, WDSS
Evelyn Causley Secretary to Elementary Principal, Bridgeview
Lesley Depencier Secretary to the Manager of Financial Services, CREC
Nancy Faubert Secretary to Elementary Principal, Bright’s Grove
Julia Henderson C2, GLSS
Michele Lalonge-Davey CUPE 1238 President
Joseph Lauzon Carpenter, Maintenance Dept
Dwayne McPhedran Itinerant Custodian, NCIVS
Dina McPhee EA, P.E. McGibbon
Alister Moyer C1, AMSS
Gina Paradis Secondary Clerk III, JMSS
Shirley Warren EA, Lambton Centennial
Ruth Webster Secretary to Elementary Principal, Confederation
Rosaline Wilson C1, JMSS
**Note: This is the most up to date information we have at this time. Some members may have submitted retirement notice and are not seen on the list but will be next year.
For your information, please note the May 1, 2018 transition date for eligible Retirees (retired before February 28, 2018) to move to the CUPE EWBT Retiree Benefits Plan has been postponed as a significant issue has arisen with the implementation of the plan. At this time, we are unable to give a firm date for transition to the new plan. Retirees are advised to contact their Board for continued coverage. Please see the attached Bulletin of April 24, 2018: click here.
Once the issue is resolved and the CUPE EWBT Retiree Benefits Plan is in place, further communications will be issued from the CUPE EWBT.
Thank you for your patience.
CUPE Education Workers’ Benefits Trust
- If you or your member has contacted either OTIP, Great-West Life or the Trust regarding ongoing issues with enrolment, such as data and system errors, errors in reporting of hours or life insurance amounts, or premium calculation concerns among others, the extended deadline of April 6, 2018 will not apply. We also want to assure these members that the member will not be considered a Late Applicant, coverage in the Benefits Plan will be retroactive to March 1, 2018 regardless of actual date of completion of enrolment, and no Late Applicant Evidence of Insurability will be required.
- If a member was hired subsequent to January 1, 2018, but has not received an enrolment email, please advise the member that the updated data provided by the Boards is being verified and processed, and once complete, an enrolment invitation email will be forwarded to the member’s Board email address. NOTE: If the member is a new hire, the extended deadline of April 6, 2018 will not apply. The member will have 31 days from the date of the enrolment invitation email to complete the enrolment process. Again, we also want to assure these members that the member will not be considered a Late Applicant, coverage in the Benefits Plan will be retroactive to March 1, 2018 or the member’s date of hire (whichever is later), and no Late Applicant Evidence of Insurability will be required provided the member enrols within the 31 days
- If a member believes they should be eligible but have not received an enrolment email, please encourage the member to contact OTIP’s Call Centre directly to confirm eligibility and request the email be sent. NOTE: If the member has not received the enrolment email, the extended deadline of April 6, 2018 will not apply. The member will have 31 days from the date of the enrolment invitation email to complete the enrolment process. Claims eligibility will be retroactive to March 1, 2018 and Late Applicant Evidence of Insurability will not be required provided the member enrols within the 31 days.
- Members for whom claims eligibility is determined to be retroactive to March 1, 2018 should be advised that once enrolment is complete, any and all member’s share of the premium costs owed from March 1, 2018 onwards will be payable. Should this cause substantial undue hardship, the member is encouraged to contact OTIP directly to discuss a manageable repayment schedule.
- For members whose enrolment process has not been completed, please remind the member to retain any medical/dental receipts from March 1, 2018 onwards as once the enrolment has been processed, the member will be able to submit those receipts retroactively for reimbursement.
Attention CUPE 1238 members:
You are reminded to check your board email as February approaches. Soon we will have the opportunity to register for the Education Workers’ Benefit Trust.
If you know someone who is off on a leave please make sure to let them know.
CUPE 1238 Members:
We are asking our members, to please reach out and share this information to former members/inactive members about REMEDY to let them know the following:
- Inactive members must verify their bank information and home addresses HAVE NOT changed since they left the Board by February 15, 2018 – these members need to indicate to email@example.com that this is the case as CUPE 1238 needs to provide this list of inactive members to the employer.
- Inactive employees who HAVE changes to bank information OR address changes MUST submit their changes to the attention of the payroll department firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any changes to address and/or bank information must include an original signature from the former employee, void cheque must be submitted.
- Please indicate name and address of executor for deceased employees to ensure the payment is made to the estate.
CUPE 1238 Executive